Tuesday, November 9, 2010

in case you wanted some info on air pollution and natural remedies.

After nearly a month in Buenos Aires, I can probably count the days on one hand that I haven’t been sick. Allergies, cold, allergies, cold, stomach cramps from unknown sources, allergies, cold. This is not normal. During an average year, I would guess that I am never sick for more than seven (nonconsecutive) days. In this estimate, I am not including allergic symptoms, but it’s hard to include those when my allergies have dwindled down so much in recent years. Even when they would appear, I always had a prescription medication nearby in my cabinet.

Why am I so sick here? Different allergens in the air that I’m not used to? Pollution? Poor, vitamin-deficient diet? Not enough REM sleep? These are all possibilities I’ve considered. This morning, I decided to peruse the world wide web in search of some answers. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Buenos Aires is considered to be among the least polluted megacities. The list also includes other surprises like Los Angeles and Sao Paulo. (If you’re interested, here is the link. Look in “Air Pollution in Megacities”). As for Buenos Aires, the relatively flat terrain of the city coupled with its proximity to the Rio De La Plata produces moderate to vast air flow (hence the city's name), greatly reducing air pollution. Lucky for me, the summer experiences the majority of that wind.  While this is good news, it remains relative. Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Spokane, Alicante, all cities I’ve lived in for a period of time, don’t have nearly the air pollution of this city because they pale in comparison to BA’s size. Nothing I can do about this. It’s interesting to note,  but I’m looking for ways to be healthy again.

As far as my other hypotheses, of course the allergens are different. Only time can offer remedy to this situation.

My REM sleep is likely reduced as a result of frantic middle-of-the-night scratching episodes (the mosquitoes are taking over my body). This might be the most annoying of all the problems, but at least there are possible solutions. After a lot of research, it seems that many people think eating massive amount s of garlic is a natural mosquito repellent. As a supporter of home remedies and a lover of garlic, there is no harm in adding more of it to my diet. A number of others claim that vitamin b1 (found in asparagus, whole grain, pork, eggs, etc.) is also a natural mosquito repellent. Neither of these claims have any actual proof. Really, the only way to repel mosquitoes is to wear DEET and cover your skin (preferably with loose, light-colored clothing). Tell me something I didn’t already know. I guess I’m heading over to the chino to restock on citronella incense and buy some DEET.

What about my new Buenos Aires diet? I eat a lot of pasta with healthy tomato or olive oil sauces. I eat a lot of fried rice with veggies and eggs. I, of course, eat plenty of salad. More recently I’ve been drinking tea in the mornings.
*Just a quick aside: as a tea person, I can’t believe I’ve never owned a stove-top teapot in my life. Now that I’m living with a few of them, I’m awed with my previous ignorance on this subject.

So what can I do to be healthier? In response to learning about the possibility that b1 can repel mosquitoes, I asked Paola where I could purchase some vitamins. She looked puzzled. It turns out, many people in the world get their vitamins from a well-balanced diet. But then she remembered the gigantic bottle of US-bought multivitamins that someone left behind in the bathroom cabinet. What a relief. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to find some weird apothecary shop to sell me some vitamins that may or may not contain anything I need in them. In response to my recent lack of overall physical health, I’m opting for a balanced diet PLUS the vitamins. Aside from that, I’m going to the pharmacy today to find some Benadryl equivalent and standard allergy pills to help with my respiratory issues and mosquito bites (which cause an allergic reaction, after all). Hopefully, this will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment