Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Back home to the escapes of Time and Memory"


I’ve never read the book from which I take this quote, Thomas Wolfe’s You Can’t Go Home Again.  I only know the saying, “you can’t go home again.”

one of my favorite homes, the BsAs terrace.
Buenos Aires was never my home, or so I thought. It wasn’t any less of a home than anywhere else that I wasn’t home. My current location, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, feels like it should be more home than Buenos Aires, because I grew up here, my family lives here. I know how to get around the city without thinking about it, I know that spring is never as early as anyone wants it to be, I even know which stoplights are timed and which aren’t.  But having built something of a life in Buenos Aires, even though I knew it was temporary, Milwaukee isn’t giving me the warm, cozy home-feeling that a home typically would. I’m sure some of that has to do with the REALLY temporary-ness of my stay here (6 weeks), and going from spending all of my waking and nonwaking hours with Brandon to spending the majority of my time by myself. And the relentless cold.

Luna and I are ready to move to Portland. We’re leaving next week! I’m excited for the potential of home for me there. I have lots of friends living around Portland, all of whom I can’t wait to see. I know that I’m drawn to adventure and relocation, and that will probably never change. A stable landing spot though, it’ll be nice to have one of those. 

And what is it about Milwaukee that can't feel like home to me? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment